arizona, cardinals, blog, andre, wadsworth, dockett, kurt warner,

Monday, January 18, 2010

In Memoriam




And just like that, it was over. I should be more upset than I am, but the truth is I'm pretty ok with how this season turned out. Lets just for a moment take a step back from this season ending loss and reflect.
  • For the first time since moving to the valley of the sun, our beloved birds won double digit games.
  • The Cards also hosted-and won- one of the greatest playoff games in the history of the NFL.
  • At the individual level, the emergence and success of younger players such as Calais Campbell, Early Doucet, and Beanie Wells giving credence to the Cardinals recent draft classes, as well as continued hope for the future.
  • And then contrastingly there is the old man himself, Kurt Warner. Kurt's performance against the Packers in the wild card round was nothing shy of historic. That game should no doubt be considered the icing on Kurt's hall of fame credentials.

That isn't to say I'm not bummed. Of course I am, and you should be too. Playoff runs have not exactly been commonplace for the Cardinals, and with the possibility of Kurt retiring, there is a level of uncertainty as to when the next one will be. I'm just trying to view this season with a bit of perspective, a perspective that many of you didn't believe I had. People were treating me as though I had just suffered a loss to my family. My favorite illustration of this was a text I received right as the game was ending. "Our thoughts are with you" it read. It's difficult to put into words what this text did to me. Stuck in a state of sadness and inebriation, that text snapped me out of my trance. Instead all I could do was smile, smile and laugh. Since that text I really have spent the majority of my reflection time focused on the positives. So to the Wadsworthian who with one swift text talked me off the ledge and brought me back to the light, you know who you are, and I thank you.

Now, just to be clear, I said I spent the majority of my time reflecting on the positive. Since I devote way too much time during my day thinking about the Cards, even a minority amount of reflection provides me ample hours to single out individuals of which I wish to kill in unusual ways. Lets quickly run through a few names, in no particular order.
  • Bryant Mcfadden: We shall smother you with honey and set a colony of ants upon you. Then maybe you will learn what it means to cover.
  • Jerheme Urban: I believe it is AIDS for you. The lesson here, sometimes when you catch something, you can't lose or give it away.
  • Levi Brown: Seriously, I'm on my hands and knees here, please just get good. No jokes, no murder fantasy, please just get good.

So how was that for a Saints-Cards post game wrap up? Double the murder fantasy to any actual football analysis. Oops. The truth is, the better team won. The Saints were healthier, better prepared and most certainly executed better and that was the difference. A few more thoughts before we sign off for a bit.

  • To those of you who actually read this blog, whether for actual Cardinals information or simply as a favor to me- thank you. Its been fun for me, hope its fun for you. Obviously the off season will be a little light on posting, heck we might even expand outside the Cards realm a bit, but we'll still be here. This should be a very exciting/interesting off season for Cards fans and the NFL in general and we'll be here with any and all important news. So stick around and keep checking in on us, we'll make it worth your while.
  • The Combine is just over a month away. We will definitely be keeping a close eye on the combine so keep a close eye on us.
  • The Cards hold the 26th pick in the draft. The draft, as previously mentioned, is my jam. I promise you will want to hang around these parts come draft time.
  • DRC didn't tear his ACL. This is of course huge news.
  • Compliments to commenter Reed. Spits hot fire like Dylan.
  • Lastly, stay tuned for our LOST preview. Wait a second, that doesn't sound right, I don't watch LOST. Fuck that, stick around for some quality Cards off season chatter as well as a few curve balls here and there. Until then, head over to the hottest blog around. Straight outta L.A. WineandBowties.com.
Be well all.


3 comments:

  1. first, any moment i can be compared to dylan, dylan, dylan, dylan, or dylan it's always a glorious day. as for your blatant irreverence when speaking on lost, i forgive you. solely for the dylan thing...and he's right wineandbowties.com is sick.

    i also think your laughter is the acceptance that being a cards fan is like waiting for godot...or just waiting...that movie where everyone flashes their balls all the time and stars dane cook. lots of losses in that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, I am irreverent towards lost. The thing is, I have sat through one episode in my entire life and I feel as though I can explain the show's premise and plot as well as those of you who watch religiously, follow its many blogs(respect on that of course), and discuss it around the water cooler. I'm not even asking people to tell me how its going to end. Could it be aliens? Sure! Or maybe an allegory to the Bible- doubtful as its not a script penned by C.S Lewis. What I'd love for someone to explain is why there is a fire-breathing mechanical monster, a randomly appearing polar bear in the middle of the south pacific, and most importantly, why michelle rodriguez is in some sort of pseudo bomb shelter and not behind the wheel of a supped up 2003 honda accord!

    As for your absurd theatre reference (see what I did there!??!) it was very nicely done. Oh and um Dane Cook sucks. Like a lot.
    /Insert over the top joke while contorting myself into odd positions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright, alright, alright. Chill on lost. And this is neither the time nor the place to express such deep personal secrets, but I'm gonna go in hard on this one: I think michelle rodriguez is hot.

    Yes, she's a terrible actor. Yes, she's kinda man-ish (I swear I'm not gay! I just like theatre, skinnier jeans, long hair, and girls who can kick my ass...wait, that wasn't much of a selling point). Yes, she's always the same in everything she does. And yes, I've been hating on her for years.

    Maybe it's the drugs, maybe it's my spirit getting weaker with life's wear, or maybe it's my repressed love of rice racers but somehow I've grown attracted to her. I know, I know. I'm now gonna go excommunicate myself...

    But, seriously, chill on lost.

    ReplyDelete